Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Dream :: Cook COOP Shibuya

I'm going to let you in on a little secret - I would love nothing more than to quit my job and open up a cafe/cookbook shop. I don't care where it is, I just want to do it. It would combine two of my favorite things and I think I'd be pretty happy doing it. My roommate stumbled upon my dream in Shibuya a few weeks ago and I had to check it out.

COOK COOP is a tiny cookbook shop in Shibuya just off of Meiji-dori. They're part of a bookstore/cafe chain in Tokyo called the Shibuya Universal Society. Unfortunately for me, most of the books are in Japanese but they do carry a few English language cookbooks. The staple Phaidon series line the windows, but I was way more interested in all the British books they carried. Crumpets! Puddings! Banofee Pie! I was put on a very strict cookbook diet after going a little nuts on Harumi, but wanted to support this tiny shop. I came away with a UK published book called Easy Comfort Food. One of the perks of buying a non-American book is that the ingredients are listed in grams. That's how things are packaged in Japan and it makes things A ZILLION times easier for me to shop and measure. No more conversion apps for me! I just cannot afford to drop my iPhone in another bowl of meat or flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment