Monday, December 13, 2010

Empty Orchestras :: Everyone Loves Karaoke

Friday was my company's ぼねんかい (bonenkai - end of year party). I don't actually socialize much in the office, but that's not to say that I don't want to. I share a desk with the boss man and that doesn't exactly make you the most popular or approachable girl in the office. I've tried to woo people over with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and homemade pumpkin pies with limited success. But all it takes to get people to talk to you is...a party! And booze! And getting as far away from the office as possible.

I haven't seen this in awhile. I only made 1 cup but it was my specialty cup - the overflowing "money cup". I'm debating whether or not to tell you my favorite beer pong story from college but it's kind of gross and I've told it so many times, most of you already know it. It involves a side pony tail, rat poison and a balcony.


The party ended around midnight and a few of my coworkers and I met up with Blammo in Shibuya for more drinks. We stumbled upon a teeny tiny 8 seat bar under the train tracks. We drank special winter sake, spoke Japanese and made friends. That is until, they started asking us about Wikileaks. Then it was time to move on...

...to karaoke! I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I've actually never gone to karaoke until this past weekend. What have I been missing out on?! Perhaps it was really fun because of all that special sake we drank earlier but singing '80s tunes at the top of your lungs with a tambourine in your hand seems like it'd be fun dead sober too. There are karaoke establishments everywhere in Japan. You rent a small room for you and your friends and order drinks and food through a telephone. It's pretty great. Also really great? Karaoke videos.

Can you name that tune?



It wasn't until after I took this picture that I realized what this is implying. No comment.  

 She looks pretty gangsta, no? 


Blammo's jam. Very impressed by his rapping skills.  

 It's not hard to guess that this last one is now officially my karaoke song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment