Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Sweet Side of Momofuku


Make no mistake about it, I'm a huge Momofuku fan. Unless you're a vegetarian or a member of PETA, there's no way you can't love his food. I can't really afford to eat at Momofuku meals every week but thankfully, Momofuku Bakery & Milk Bar opened a few months ago and I'm pretty much a regular here. The Cereal Milk Soft Serve was my gateway drug into Milk Bar heaven. Cereal Milk is basically milk steeped with sugary childhood favorites such as Fruity Pebbles and Lucky Charms, then mixed into super creamy soft serve. Yeah, it was awesome. Then I read this article about their head Pastry Chef/my hero and decided that I had to try every single one of their cookies. I am really hoping David Chang puts the recipe for the cornflake-marshmallow-chocolate chip cookies in his upcoming book.

Since Milk Bar has opened, there have been 3 different soft serve themes. Cereal, donuts and currently, they're serving up candy flavors. On my last trip, I tried the Atomic Fireball flavor because when I was little, my sister and I would get them on road trips to LA and see who could keep it in their mouth the longest. (I'm pretty sure that was just a game my parents made up to shut us up.) There's something really weird about eating cold soft serve that tastes exactly like something completely familiar. Your brain is like "Huh?!" and your mouth is like "Say what?!" and then eventually, they come together and sing at the top of their lungs "THIS IS CRAZY!!". Ok, I'll admit, it's not the best soft serve in the world, but it's playful and fun and it keeps me coming back. (JUST LIKE DRUGS!!!)

At this point, I've eaten at all the Momofukus except for Ko and you better believe I'm online every morning at 10am to check for reservations. Needless to say, this post is to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment