Monday, November 16, 2009

Big Tuna

One of the perks of living in any big city is that you're bound to run into something unique, spectacular, weird and/or cool at any given moment. This past weekend, on the way to the metro station, I walked past a local sushi shop in Akasaka-Mitsuke. There was a small crowd gathered around something in front of the shop so I decided to stop and try and see what was up. Perhaps a celebrity sighting? A crime? No, even better - A HUGE FRESH TUNA.
I have never really seen a tuna fish live in the flesh - I'm a little embarrassed that I had NO idea they got so big. Tuna auctions happen every morning at the famous Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo, but a tuna this size is special. Think about how many sushi shops there are in the Tokyo area alone...not imagine all those shop owners bidding for this beautiful fish. I have no idea how much this piece cost, but I'm guess A LOT. Back in January, a 282-pounder went for $104,700 to a guy that has a shop in Akasaka! I wonder if it is the same guy...hmmm..

Tsukiji is a popular tourist destination, but I think that tourists were interfering too much with the auctions, so they closed off the auction to the public. Even if you have to wake up at the crack of dawn, it really is a great place to eat the freshest sushi in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment